Selenium is the de facto standard for front-end test automation of modern web technologies due to the flexible and powerful browser automation capabilities of WebDriver.
The Selenium Tester Foundation is a practical training course aimed at test professionals who desire a basic understanding of Selenium WebDriver for creating web application tests. Participants will learn about factors to consider when deciding to automate testing as well as specific techniques for navigation, interacting with GUI elements, logging, reporting, and more. Upon the successful completion of the course, a participant will be able to create and run Selenium WebDriver tests without supervision.
This is a three-day course with time for the exam on the third day. It consists of equal parts lecture/ demonstrations and hands-on exercises. The certification exam is a 60 minute, 40 question, multiple-choice exam, and a pass is awarded for answering 65% of questions correctly.
Attendees should have general knowledge of basic programming and some knowledge of Python.
Who is it for?
This course is ideal for automators and those who want to learn automation using the Selenium WebDriver toolset. While this course is accessible to anyone wanting to acquire a basic, hands-on knowledge of Selenium, the main audiences are:
- People with no test automation experience who are starting to automate in Selenium (or who want to get a job doing that)
- People with some GUI test automation experience who are new to Selenium or starting to automate in Selenium (or who want to get a job doing that)
- People with some non-GUI test automation experience who are new to Selenium and starting to automate in Selenium (or who want to get a job doing that)
Delegates will learn how to
By the end of the course, attendees should be able to:
- Correctly apply test automation principles to build a maintainable test automation solution
- Choose and implement correct test automation tools
- Implement Selenium WebDriver scripts that execute functional web application tests
- Implement maintainable scripts
Chapter 1. Test Automation Basics (105 Min)
- Explain the objectives, advantages, disadvantages and limitations of test automation
- Understand the relation between manual and automated tests
- Identify technical success factors of a test automation project
- Understand risks and benefits of using Selenium WebDriver
- Explain the place of Selenium WebDriver in TAA (Test Automation Architecture)
- Explain the reason and purpose for metric collection in automation
- Understand and can compare objectives of using Selenium toolset (WebDriver, Selenium Server, Selenium Grid)
Chapter 2. Internet Technologies for Test Automation of Web Applications (195 Min)
- Understand and can write HTML and XML documents
- Apply XPath to search XML documents
- Apply CSS locators to find elements of HTML documents
Chapter 3. Using Selenium WebDriver (495 Min)
- Use appropriate logging and reporting mechanisms
- Navigate to different URLs using WebDriver commands
- Change window context in web browsers using WebDriver commands
- Capture screenshots of web pages using WebDriver commands
- Locate GUI elements using various strategies
- Get state of GUI elements using WebDriver commands
- Interact with GUI elements using WebDriver commands
- Interact with user prompts in web browsers using WebDriver commands
Chapter 4. Preparing Maintainable Test Scripts (225 Min)
- Understand which factors support and affect maintainability of test scripts
- Use appropriate wait mechanisms
- Analyse GUI of a system under test (SUT) and use Page Objects to make its abstractions
- Analyse test scripts and apply Keyword Driven Testing principles to building test scripts
The course runs for three days, with one hour set aside on the third day for the Selenium Foundation exam if desired. The certification exam is a 60 minute, 40 question, multiple-choice exam. To attain the Selenium Foundation certification candidates must pass the A4Q Selenium Tester Foundation certification exam.
The exam shall be comprised of 40 multiple-choice questions. Each correct answer has a value of one point. A score of at least 65% (that is, 26 or more questions answered correctly) is required to pass the exam. The time allowed to take the exam is 60 minutes. If the candidate’s native language is not the examination language, the candidate may be allowed an extra 25% (15 minutes) time.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.