This course gets you up and running with a set of procedures for analyzing time series data. Learn how to forecast using a variety of models, including regression, exponential smoothing, and ARIMA, which take into account different combinations of trend and seasonality. The Expert Modeler features will be covered, which is designed to automatically select the best fitting exponential smoothing or ARIMA model, but you will also learn how to specify your own custom models, and also how to identify ARIMA models yourself using a variety of diagnostic tools such as time plots and autocorrelation plots.
• Familiarity with the IBM SPSS Modeler environment (creating, editing, opening, and saving streams).
• General knowledge of regression analysis is recommended but not required
Delegates will learn how to
Please refer to course overview
1: Introduction to time series analysis
• Explain what a time series analysis is
• Describe how time series models work
• Demonstrate the main principles behind a time series forecasting model
2: Automatic forecasting with the Expert Modeler
• Examine fit and error
• Examine unexplained variation
• Examine how the Expert Modeler chooses the best fitting time series model
3: Measuring model performance
• Discuss various ways to evaluate model performance
• Evaluate model performance of an ARIMA model
• Test a model using a holdout sample
4: Time series regression
• Use regression to fit a model with trend, seasonality and predictors
• Handling predictors in time series analysis
• Detect and adjust the model for autocorrelation
• Use a regression model to forecast future values
5: Exponential smoothing models
• Types of exponential smoothing models
• Create a custom exponential smoothing model
• Forecast future values with exponential smoothing
• Validate an exponential smoothing model with future data
6: ARIMA modeling
• Explain what ARIMA is
• Learn how to identify ARIMA model types
• Use sequence charts and autocorrelation plots to manually identify an ARIMA model that fits the data
• Check your results with the Expert Modeler
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.