Using a mix of classroom presentation, instructor led discussion and individual practical exercises, this course has been designed to provide testers with a good, basic understanding of test automation.
The course covers the following topics:
- What is test automation?
- When to automate and when not to automate.
- Automation approaches including frameworks, platform tools and simple record and replay.
- Demonstration of some of the tools that are available.
- Practical session using a record and replay tool.
Attendees should have at least 12 months’ experience of system testing. Some experience of writing code in a language such as Java or C++ would be useful, but isn’t essential.
Who is it for?
The Introduction to Test Automation course is principally aimed at test practitioners who would like to understand more about automation tools and techniques before deciding on a test tool and embarking on an automation project.
Delegates will learn how to
The course objectives are to provide delegates with a good understanding of how to select the most appropriate automation tool then plan, prepare and execute a test automation project.
Should the delegates wish to learn about any of the automation tools in more detail on completion of this introduction, TSG Training have several tool-specific courses available. Details are available from TSG Training on request.
- Introduction to test automation.
- When automation is appropriate and when it’s not for:
- Test driven development and continuous integration
- System testing
- Automated regression testing and selecting tests for automation.
- User Acceptance Test
- Creating test data.
- Selecting the tests that are best suited to automation
- Calculating the return on investment when automating:
- Cost of tools versus ease of use
- Skills required to use the tools
- Estimating the cost of developing the automating tests
- Estimating the cost of maintaining the tests
- Looking at how often the tests will be executed
- How to select the most appropriate tool or tools for a project.
- Overview of some of the automation tools that are available
- Practical demonstrations:
- Ranorex – simple record and replay
- Selenium Webdriver – scripted browser tests
- Odin Axe – using an automation platform to create tests using keywords
- Hands-on practical session using Ranorex record and replay
- Q&A and close.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.