This course may be available for you to purchase through the Microsoft Software Assurance voucher scheme. To book courses using vouchers please call our sales team on 0845 757 3888. Or for more information on claiming vouchers you can speak to our dedicated Software Assurance administration team on 01753 898 351.
This two-day instructor-led course provides delegates with the knowledge and skills required to implement an endpoint malware protection solution using Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 (FEP).
This course is intended for IT Pros that will design, implement or manage an endpoint malware protection solution using Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010.
- A certification or equivalent knowledge.
- Network certification or equivalent knowledge.
- Familiarity with Windows client and server operating systems and Active Directory.
- Awareness and conceptual understanding of System Center Operations Manager and its role in monitoring Windows systems.
- Completed Course 6451B, Planning, Deploying and Managing Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007, or have equivalent knowledge. This is only required for attendees that will design and deploy FEP solutions. An overview of ConfigMgr will be provided in this course for those that will administer a FEP solution.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Articulate the value proposition and key features of FEP 2010.
- Understand the protection technologies built into the FEP client to protect desktops, laptops and servers from malicious code threats.
- Understand the fundamental concepts of System Center Configuration Manager 2007.
- Understand the FEP server components and how they are integrated into a System Center Configuration Manager 2007 infrastructure.
- Understand how to manage FEP client policy and definition updates.
- Understand the FEP client architecture and how the client can be deployed across an organization.
- Understand the various options for monitoring, alerting and reporting on the health and malware activity of FEP clients.
- Understand how FEP can leverage System Center Operations Manager 2007 to provide real-time monitoring of high value endpoints.
Module 1: FEP 2010 Overview
This module provides an overview of the FEP 2010 product. It drills down into the different protection technologies provided by the FEP client, and explores the client's user interface. Finally it describes how the FEP client integrates with components that will be introduced in later modules to provide an overall solution.
- Product focus and feature overview.
- Protection technologies.
- FEP client user interface.
- FEP solution overview.
Module 2: System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Fundamentals
This module provides an overview of the System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (ConfigMgr) product with which FEP 2010 integrates. It is not intended to teach design or implementation skills in the product, but to provide a high level overview of the product, its features and components so that attendees can appreciate how FEP integrates with and leverages them. It also focuses only on the features that are leveraged by FEP, and does not cover the numerous other ConfigMgr features. It is provided as a self-contained module so that those experienced in the product have an option of skipping this module.
- System Center suite and positioning of Configuration Manager 2007.
- Configuration Manager 2007 features.
- Configuration Manager 2007 concepts.
- Feature drill-down: Software Distribution.
- Feature drill-down: Software Update Management.
- Feature drill-down: Desired Configuration Management.
- Lab : Configure ConfigMgr to support FEP 2010.
- Lab : Deploy ConfigMgr clients.
Module 3: FEP Server Deployment
This module describes the server components of the FEP 2010 product and how they integrate into a ConfigMgr infrastructure. It describes the different FEP management models and how these align with different ConfigMgr topologies, and the different configurations in which FEP server components can be deployed. Finally it looks at the ConfigMgr objects that are created during integration, and how these are used to manage and monitor FEP clients.
- FEP server components and integration with ConfigMgr.
- FEP management models.
- FEP Server component deployment topologies.
- ConfigMgr objects created by FEP.
- Lab : Configure FEP definition updates.
- Lab : Install FEP 2010 server components.
Module 4: FEP Policy and Update Management
This module looks in detail at the two main management aspects of the FEP solution - management of FEP policies and management of definition updates.
- Managing FEP policy.
- Managing FEP definition updates.
- Lab : Manage FEP policies using Configuration Manager.
- Lab : Manage FEP policies using Group Policy.
Module 5: FEP Client Deployment
This module looks in detail at the considerations for deploying the FEP 2010 across the organization.
- FEP client architecture.
- Supported platforms and system requirements.
- FEP client deployment methods.
- FEP client deployment validation and troubleshooting.
- Lab : Deploy FEP 2010 clients.
Module 6: Monitoring, Alerting and Reporting
This module looks in detail at the monitoring aspects of a FEP 2010 solution - specifically the FEP Dashboard, FEP alerts, and FEP reports. It explains how the ConfigMgr Desired Configuration Management (DCM) feature is used to collect data from clients as well as measure compliance with defined security baselines. Finally it examines how System Center Operations Manager can be used together with the FEP 2010 Security management pack to provide real-time monitoring of high-value endpoints (like servers).
- FEP administrator roles and their interaction with the product.
- FEP alerts.
- FEP and Desired Configuration Management (DCM).
- FEP reports.
- Real-time monitoring with the System Center Operations Manager Security management pack.
- Lab : Configure FEP Alerts.
- Lab : Investigate Malware Detection and Response Workflow.
- Lab : Explore FEP Reporting.
- Lab : Use DCM to Monitor Policy Compliance.
- Lab : Perform Real-time Monitoring with the FEP 2010 Security Management Pack.