This course guides students through the fundamentals of using IBM SPSS Statistics for typical data analysis process. Students will learn the basics of reading data, data definition, data modification, and data analysis and presentation of analytical results. Students will also see how easy it is to get data into IBM SPSS Statistics so that they can focus on analyzing the information. In addition to the fundamentals, students will learn shortcuts that will help them save time. This course uses the IBM SPSS Statistics Base features.
• Experience with IBM SPSS Statistics is not necessary, though a basic understanding of purpose and functions of the software is helpful.
• No statistical background is necessary.
Delegates will learn how to
- Overview of IBM SPSS Statistics
- Read data and define metadata
- Transform variables
- Use functions to compute variables
- Set the unit of analysis
- Merge data files
- Select cases for analyses
- Summarize individual variables
- Describe relationships between variables
- Create presentation-ready tables with Custom Tables
- Customize pivot tables
- Create and customize charts
- Work with syntax
- Control the IBM SPSS Statistics environment
Introduction to IBM SPSS Statistics
• Review basic concepts in IBM SPSS Statistics
• Identify the steps in the research process
• Review basic analyses
• Use Help
Read data and define metadata
• Overview of data sources
• Read data from databases
• Read data from Microsoft Excel
• Define variable properties
• Compute new variables
• Recode values of nominal, ordinal, and scale variables
• Create a numeric variable from a string variable
• Explore advanced variable transformations
Use functions to compute variables
• Use statistical functions
• Use logical functions
• Use missing value functions
• Use conversion functions
• Use system variables
• Use the Data and Time Wizard
Set the unit of analysis
• Remove duplicate cases
• Create aggregated datasets
• Restructure datasets
Merge data files
• Add cases from one dataset to another
• Add variables from one dataset to another
• Enrich a dataset with aggregated information
Select cases for analyses
• Select case for an analysis
• Run analyses for subgroups
Summarize individual variables
• Define levels of measurement
• Summarizing categorical variables with Frequencies
• Summarizing scale variables with Frequencies and Descriptives
Describe relationship between variables
• Select the appropriate procedure to summarize the relationship between two variables
• Summarize the relationship between categorical variables with Crosstabs
• Summarize the relationship between a scale and a categorical variable with Means
Create presentation-ready tables with Custom Tables
• Identify table layouts
• Create tables for variables with shared categorical
• Create tables for variables that represent a multiple response question
Customize pivot tables
• Perform Automated Output Modification
• Customize pivot tables in the Pivot Table Editor
• Use table templates
• Export pivot tables to other applications
Create and customize charts
• Use the Chart Builder to create various types of graphs
• Customize charts in the Chart Editor
• Use chart templates
• Export pivot tables to other applications
Work with syntax
• Use syntax to automate analyses
• Use the Syntax Editor environment
• Create and edit syntax
• Run syntax
Control the IBM SPSS Statistics environment
• Describe the features of the Options dialog box
• Reset the display of variables
• Set the default working data folders
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.