These courses are being delivered by an IBM Global Training Provider
This course provides participants with introductory to advanced knowledge of how to model metadata for predictable reporting and analysis results using IBM Cognos Cube Designer. Participants will learn the full scope of the metadata modeling process, from initial project creation, to publishing a dynamic cube, and enabling end users to easily author reports and analyze data.
- Knowledge of dimensional modeling and design. Experience using the IBM Cognos Analytics portal and Administration.
Introduction to IBM Cognos Dynamic Cubes
- Define and differentiate Dynamic Cubes
- Dynamic Cubes characteristics
- Examine Dynamic Cube requirements
- Examine Dynamic Cube components
- Examine high level architecture
- IBM Cognos Dynamic Query
- Review Dimensional Data Structures
- Dynamic Cubes caching
Create and design a Dynamic Cube
- Explore the IBM Cognos Cube Designer
- Review the cube development process
- Examine the Automatic Cube Generation
- Manual development overview
- Create dimensions
- Model the cube
- Best practice for effective modeling
Deploy and configure a Dynamic Cube
- Deploy a cube
- Explore the Estimate Hardware Requirements
- Identify cube management tasks
- Examine Query Service administration
- Explore Dynamic Cube properties
- Schedule cube actions
- Use the DCAdmin comment line tool
Advanced Dynamic Cube modeling
- Examine advanced modeling concepts
- Explore modeling caveats
- Calculated measures and members
- Model Relative Time
- Explore the Current Period property
- Define period aggregation rules for measures
Advanced features of Cube Designer
- Examine multilingual support
- Examine ragged hierarchies and padding members
- Define Parent-Child Dimensions
- Refresh Metadata
- Import Framework Manager packages
- Filter measures and dimensions
Optimize performance with aggregates
- Identify aggregates and aggregate tables
- In-memory aggregates
- Use Aggregate Advisor to identify aggregates
- User defined in-memory aggregates
- Optimize In-Memory Aggregates automatically
- Aggregate Advisor recommendations
- Monitor Dynamic Cube performance
- Model aggregates (automatically vs manually)
- Use Slicers to define aggregation partitions
- Overview of Dynamic Cube security
- Identify security filters
- The Security process - Three steps
- Examine security scope
- Identify scope rules
- Identify roles
- Capabilities and access permissions
- Cube security deep dive
Model a virtual cube
- Explore virtual cubes
- Create the virtual cube
- Explore virtual cube objects
- Examine virtual measures and calculated members
- Currency conversion using virtual cubes
- Security on virtual cubes
Introduction to IBM Cognos Analytics (Optional)
- Define IBM Cognos Analytics
- Redefined Business Intelligence
- Navigate to content in IBM Cognos Analytics
- Interact with the user interface
- Model data with IBM Cognos Analytics
- IBM Cognos Analytics components
- Create reports
- Perform self-service with analysis and Dashboards
- IBM Cognos Analytics architecture (high level)
- IBM Cognos Analytics security
- Package / data source relationship
- Create Data modules
- Upload files
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.