These courses are being delivered by an IBM Global Training Provider
This course is designed to guide report authors in building on their expertise with IBM Cognos Analytics by applying dimensional techniques to reports. Through interactive demonstrations and exercises, participants will learn how to author reports that navigate and manipulate dimensional data structures using the specific dimensional functions and features available in IBM Cognos Analytics.
- IBM Cognos Analytics: Author Reports Fundamentals (v11.0)
- Knowledge of your business requirements
- Knowledge of dimensional data
Introduction to Dimensional Concepts
- Identify different data sources and models
- Investigate the OLAP dimensional structure
- Identify dimensional data items and expressions
- Differentiate the IBM Cognos Analytics query language from SQL and MDX
- Differentiate relational and dimensional report authoring styles
Introduction to Dimensional Data in Reports
- Work with members
- Identify sets and tuples in IBM Cognos Analytics
Dimensional Report Context
- Understand the purpose of report context
- Understand how data is affected by default and root members
Focus Your Dimensional Data
- Compare dimensional queries to relational queries
- Explain the importance of filtering dimensional queries
- Evaluate different filtering techniques
- Filter based on dimensions and members
- Filter based on measure values
- Filter using a slicer
Calculations and Dimensional Functions
- Use IBM Cognos Analytics dimensional functions to create sets and tuples
- Perform arithmetic operations in OLAP queries
- Identify coercion errors and rules
Functions for Navigating Dimensional Hierarchies
Navigate dimensional data using family functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative functions
- Navigate dimensional data using relative time functions
Advanced Drilling Techniques and Member Sets
- Understand default drill-up and drill-down functionality
- Identify cases when you need to override default drilling behavior
- Configure advanced drilling behavior to support sophisticated use cases
- Define member sets to support advanced drilling
- Define member sets to support functions
Set Up Drill-Through Reports
- Navigate from a specific report to a target report
- Drill down to greater detail and then navigate to target report
- Navigate between reports created using different data sources
Review concepts covered throughout the course
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.