This 1 day course will introduce you to the basic technical concepts behind the various stages of a hacking attack, as well as some common tools used by hackers and security professionals alike. Examples are drawn from real-world breaches to show how lapses in security have resulted in high-profile damage to organisations and customers.
Assuming no prior information security knowledge, the course is ideally suited to anyone requiring a high-level understanding of techniques and current trends used in hacking without the need for practical know-how.
This is a multimedia theory-based course with group discussions. Should there be time and interest, there is also the opportunity to join a guided 'hack lab', in which you can try your hand at some simple web application attacks (Wi-Fi enabled device required).
Delegates interested in more hands-on technical content should look at other supplier's courses such as CSTA and CSTP.
- No prior information security knowledge
- Basic computer literacy
- It is recommended to read up on the concept of domain names and IP addresses, eg http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/i/f/ip_address.htm
- Wi-Fi enabled device to join the 'hack lab'
Delegates will learn how to
- A hacker's mindset and motivations
- The hacker methodology - insight into tools and tricks used
- How an organisation is at risk from hackers
- Various routes of attack eg Internet, employees, social engineering, emails, wireless
- Details of some high profile attacks that have led to real damage, both financial and reputational.
- Introduction - terminology, motivations, the lie of the land, methodology
- Information gathering - from harvesting open-source information to social engineering
- Target scanning, including port scanning
- Vulnerability assessment, including the threat from client-side software
- Exploitation, including attack pivoting
- Privilege escalation, including password attacks
- Retaining access, including botnets
- Covering tracks
- Team exercise - incident handling scenario
- Web application attacks - threats, OWASP Top Ten
- SQL injection
- Conclusion - trends
- Hack lab - practical attack scenarios
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.