Please note: Due to the dynamic nature of updates to Office 365 functionality by Microsoft, elements of the syllabus of this course can be subject to change without notice.
Please note: This course is currently due for retirement by Microsoft. There will be a new, replacement course, MS030 'Office 365 Administrator' which is currently scheduled for release by Microsoft in October. QA will be delivering events for the new course as soon as it becomes available. In the meantime, please call for further information or to register interest.
Please be aware that whilst this course provides a general introduction to Office 365 technologies it does not represent a deep dive into any of the various Office 365 technologies identified in the below course syllabus. Topics are treated as a high level introduction and there are limited practical lab exercises associated with the various modules.
If you are interested in an in-depth exploration of any specific Office 365 technology, QA recommends that you attend a Technical Mastering QA authored course from our Microsoft 365 curriculum which offers end to end detailed guidance and hands on labs for:
- Exchange Online and Exchange Hybrid
- Sharepoint Online and Sharepoint Hybrid
- Office 365 Teams
- Office 365 governance, compliance and security
- Sharepoint and Office 365 Modern Development
- Microsoft Flow and Microsoft PowerApps
- Microsoft 365 Hacking Workshop
- QA Microsoft 365 Hacking Workshop – 2 days
Please note: for Attend from Anywhere customers an additional screen is required. The additional screen must have a minimum screen size of 19 inch and minimum resolution of 1280x1024, with the vertical resolution (1024) being the most critical.
This is a 5-day instructor-led training (ILT) course that targets the needs of IT professionals who take part in evaluating, planning, deploying, and operating Office 365 services, including its identities, dependencies, requirements, and supporting technologies. This course focuses on skills required to set up an Office 365 tenant, including federation with existing user identities, and skills required to sustain an Office 365 tenant and its users.
This course will provide experienced IT professionals with the training that they need to plan, configure, and manage an Office 365 environment. Students who attend this course are expected to have a fairly broad understanding of several on-premises technologies such as Domain Name System (DNS) and AD DS, and a general understanding of Exchange Server, Microsoft Lync Server or Skype for Business Server, and Microsoft SharePoint Server.
Please note this course is not suitable for delegates wishing to learn how to deploy a Hybrid Exchange Environment (On-Premise and Exchange Online integrated). Delegates wanting to have hands on exposure to planning and deploying a Exchange Hybrid Environment should attend the QA Deploying a Exchange Hybrid Environment course: QADEXHE (www.qa.com/QADEXHE).
- A minimum of two years of experience administering the Windows Server operating system, including Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2.
- A minimum of one year of experience working with AD DS.
- A minimum of one year of experience working with name resolution, including DNS.
- Experience working with certificates, including public key infrastructure (PKI) certificates.
- Experience working with Windows PowerShell.
- Experience working with Exchange Server 2013 or later, Lync Server 2013 or Skype for Business Server 2015, and SharePoint Server 2013 or later is beneficial but not required.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Plan an Office 365 deployment, configure the Office 365 tenant, and plan a pilot deployment.
- Manage Office 365 users, groups, and licenses, and configure delegated administration.
- Plan and configure client connectivity to Office 365.
- Plan and configure directory synchronization between Azure AD and on-premises AD DS.
- Plan and implement the deployment of Office 365 ProPlus.
- Plan and manage Exchange Online recipients and permissions.
- Plan and configure Exchange Online services.
- Plan and implement the Skype for Business Online deployment.
- Plan and configure SharePoint Online.
- Plan and configure an Office 365 collaboration solution that includes Yammer Enterprise, OneDrive for Business, and Office 365 groups.
- Plan and configure the integration between Office 365 and Azure RMS, and configure compliance features in Office 365.
- Monitor and review Office 365 services, and troubleshoot Office 365 issues.
- Plan and implement identity federation between on-premises AD DS and Azure AD.
Module 1: Planning and provisioning Microsoft Office 365
This module reviews the features of Office 365 and identifies recent improvements to the service. Also it describes how to configure an Office 365 tenant and plan for a pilot deployment.
- Overview of Office 365
- Provisioning an Office 365 tenant
- Planning a pilot deployment
Lab : Provisioning Office 365
- Configuring an Office 365 tenant
- Configuring a custom domain
- Exploring the Office 365 administrator interfaces
Module 2: Managing Microsoft Office 365 users and groups
This module describes how to manage Office 365 users, groups, and licenses, and configure administrative access by using the Office 365 console and the Windows PowerShell command-line interface.
- Managing user accounts and licenses
- Managing passwords and authentication
- Managing security groups in Office 365
- Managing Office 365 users and groups with Windows PowerShell
- Configuring administrative access
Lab : Managing Office 365 users and passwords
- Managing Office 365 users and licenses by using the Office 365 admin center
- Managing Office 365 password policies
Lab : Managing Office 365 groups and administration
- Managing Office 365 groups
- Managing Office 365 users and groups by using Windows PowerShell
- Configuring delegated administrators
Module 3: Configuring client connectivity to Microsoft Office 365
This module describes the different types of client software that you can use to connect to Office 365, and the infrastructure requirements that the clients need to meet to connect to Office 365. Also this teaches you how to configure different types of Office 365 clients.
- Planning for Office 365 clients
- Planning connectivity for Office 365 clients
- Configuring connectivity for Office 365 clients
Lab : Configuring client connectivity to Office 365
- Configuring DNS records for Office 365 clients
- Running the Office 365 connectivity analyzer tools
- Connecting Office 2016 clients
Module 4: Planning and configuring directory synchronization
This module describes how to plan and configure directory synchronization between Azure AD and on-premises AD DS.
- Planning and preparing for directory synchronization
- Implementing directory synchronization by using Azure AD Connect
- Managing Office 365 identities with directory synchronization
Lab : Planning and configuring directory synchronization
- Preparing for directory synchronization
- Configuring directory synchronization
- Managing Active Directory users and groups
Module 5: Planning and deploying Office 2016 ProPlus
This module covers the planning process, how to make Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus directly available to end users, and how to deploy it as a managed package. Finally, this module covers how to set up Office telemetry so that administrators can keep track of how users are interacting with Microsoft Office.
- Overview of Office 365 ProPlus
- Planning and managing user-driven Office 365 ProPlus deployments
- Planning and managing centralized deployments of Office 365 ProPlus
- Office telemetry and reporting
Lab : Deploying Office 365 ProPlus
- Preparing an Office 365 ProPlus managed installation
- Managing user-driven Office 365 ProPlus installations
- Managing Centralized Office 365 ProPlus installations
Module 6: Planning and managing Exchange Online recipients and permissions
This module describes Exchange Online and explains how to create and manage recipient objects and how to manage and delegate Exchange security.
- Overview of Exchange Online
- Managing Exchange Online recipients
- Planning and configuring Exchange Online permissions
Lab : Managing Exchange Online recipients and permissions
- Configuring Exchange Online recipients
- Configuring delegated administration
Module 7: Planning and configuring Microsoft Exchange Online services
This module describes how to plan and configure Exchange Online services. It also explains how to plan and configure anti-malware and anti-spam settings in Office 365.
- Planning and configuring email flow in Office 365
- Planning and configuring email protection in Office 365
- Planning and configuring client access policies
- Migrating to Exchange Online
Lab : Configuring message transport in Exchange Online
Configuring message transport settings
Lab : Configuring email protection and client policies
- Configuring email protection
- Configuring client access policies
Module 8: Planning and deploying Skype for Business Online
This module describes how to plan and implement the Skype for Business Online deployment. Also it describes how to plan voice integration with Skype for Business Online.
- Planning and configuring Skype for Business Online service settings
- Configuring Skype for Business Online users and client connectivity
- Planning voice integration with Skype for Business Online
Lab : Deploying Skype for Business Online
- Configuring Skype for Business Online organization settings
- Configuring Skype for Business Online user settings
- Configuring a Skype Meeting Broadcast
Module 9: Planning and configuring SharePoint Online
This module describes the administrative features available within SharePoint Online and the most common configuration tasks for any administrator who starts using SharePoint Online. Also it describes the concept of site collections and the different sharing options within SharePoint Online. A brief overview of additional portals, such as the video portal, are also provided.
- Configuring SharePoint Online services
- Planning and configuring SharePoint site collections
- Planning and configuring external user sharing
Lab : Configuring SharePoint Online
- Configuring SharePoint Online settings
- Creating and configuring a SharePoint Online site collection
- Configuring and verifying external user sharing
Module 10: Planning and configuring a Office 365 collaboration solution
This module describes how to plan and implement a SharePoint collaboration solution, and how to enable Yammer Enterprise services within Office 365 and OneDrive for Business, and Office 365 groups.
- Planning and managing Yammer Enterprise
- Planning and configuring OneDrive for Business
- Configuring Office 365 groups
Lab : Planning and configuring an Office 365 collaboration solution
- Configuring a Yammer Enterprise
- Configuring OneDrive for Business
- Configuring Office 365 groups
Module 11: Planning and configuring rights management and compliance
This module describes the compliance features in Office 365 and explains how to manage them. Also it describes how to plan and configure Microsoft Azure Rights Management (Azure RMS). Additionally it discusses the security features in Office 365.
- Overview of the compliance features in Office 365
- Planning and configuring Azure Rights Management in Office 365
- Managing the compliance features in Office 365
Lab : Configuring Rights Management and compliance
- Configuring rights management in Office 365
- Configuring compliance features
Module 12: Monitoring and troubleshooting Microsoft Office 365
This module describes how to monitor and review Office 365 services, and troubleshoot Office 365 issues.
- Troubleshooting Office 365
- Monitoring Office 365 service health
Lab : Monitoring and troubleshooting Office 365
- Monitoring Office 365
- Monitoring service health and analyzing reports
Module 13: Planning and configuring identity federation
This module describes how to plan and implement identity federation between on-premises AD DS and Azure AD.
- Understanding identity federation
- Planning an AD FS deployment
- Deploy AD FS for identity federation with Office 365
- Planning and implementing hybrid solutions (Optional)
Lab : Planning and configuring identity federation
- Deploying Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) and Web Application
- Configuring federation with Office 365
- Verifying single sign-on (SSO)