This three-day instructor-led course is aimed at database professionals who fulfil a Business Intelligence (BI) developer role. This course looks at implementing multidimensional databases by using SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), and at creating tabular semantic data models for analysis with SSAS.
The primary audience for this course are database professionals who need to fulfil BI Developer role to create enterprise BI solutions. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Implementing multidimensional databases by using SQL Server Analysis Services
- Creating tabular semantic data models for analysis by using SQL Server Analysis Services
- The secondary audiences for this course are 'power' information workers/data analysts.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the components, architecture, and nature of a BI solution
- Create a multidimensional database with analysis services
- Implement dimensions in a cube
- Implement measures and measure groups in a cube
- Use MDX syntax
- Customize a cube
- Implement a tabular database
- Use DAX to query a tabular model
- Use data mining for predictive analysis
Module 1: Introduction to Business Intelligence and Data Modelling
This module introduces key BI concepts and the Microsoft BI product suite.
- Introduction to Business Intelligence
- The Microsoft business intelligence platform
Lab : Exploring a Data Warehouse
Module 2: Creating Multidimensional Databases
This module describes the steps required to create a multidimensional database with analysis services.
- Introduction to multidimensional analysis
- Creating data sources and data source views
- Creating a cube
- Overview of cube security
Lab : Creating a multidimensional database
Module 3: Working with Cubes and Dimensions
This module describes how to implement dimensions in a cube.
- Configuring dimensions
- Define attribute hierarchies
- Sorting and grouping attributes
Lab : Working with Cubes and Dimensions
Module 4: Working with Measures and Measure Groups
This module describes how to implement measures and measure groups in a cube.
- Working with measures
- Working with measure groups
Lab : Configuring Measures and Measure Groups
Module 5: Introduction to MDX
This module describes the MDX syntax and how to use MDX.
- MDX fundamentals
- Adding calculations to a cube
- Using MDX to query a cube
Lab : Using MDX
Module 6: Customizing Cube Functionality
This module describes how to customize a cube.
- Implementing key performance indicators
- Implementing actions
- Implementing perspectives
- Implementing translations
Lab : Customizing a Cube
Module 7: Implementing a Tabular Data Model by Using Analysis Services
This module describes how to implement a tabular data model in PowerPivot.
- Introduction to tabular data models
- Creating a tabular data model
- Using an analysis services tabular model in an enterprise BI solution
Lab : Working with an Analysis services tabular data model
Module 8: Introduction to Data Analysis Expression (DAX)
This module describes how to use DAX to create measures and calculated columns in a tabular data model.
- DAX fundamentals
- Using DAX to create calculated columns and measures in a tabular data model
Lab : Creating Calculated Columns and Measures by using DAX
Module 9: Performing Predictive Analysis with Data Mining
This module describes how to use data mining for predictive analysis.
- Overview of data mining
- Using the data mining add-in for Excel
- Creating a custom data mining solution
- Validating a data mining model
- Connecting to and consuming a data mining model
Lab : Perform Predictive Analysis with Data Mining
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.