This course provides networking professionals a functional understanding of iRules development.
The course builds on the foundation of the Administering BIG-IP course, demonstrating how to logically plan and write iRules to help monitor and manage common tasks involved with processing traffic on the BIG-IP system.
Extensive course labs consist of writing, applying and evaluating the effect of iRules on local traffic.
This hands-on course includes lectures, labs, and discussions.
Students must complete one of the following F5 prerequisites before attending this course:
• Administering BIG-IP instructor-led course
• Configuring BIG-IP LTM instructor-led course
• F5 Certified BIG-IP Administrator
The following free web-based training courses, although optional, are very helpful for any student with limited BIG-IP administration and configuration experience. These courses are available at F5 University (http://university.f5.com):
• Getting Started with BIG-IP
• Getting Started with BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM)
The following general network technology knowledge and experience are recommended before attending any F5 Global Training Services instructor-led course:
• OSI model encapsulation
• Routing and switching
• Ethernet and ARP
• TCP/IP concepts
• IP addressing and subnetting
• NAT and private IP addressing
• Default gateway
• Network firewalls
• LAN vs. WAN
The following course-specific knowledge and experience are suggested before attending this course:
• HTTP protocol
• Any programming language
Who should attend?
This course is intended for system administrators, network administrators and application developers responsible for the customization of traffic flow through a BIG-IP system using iRules.
Delegates will learn how to
• Setting up the BIG-IP system
• Getting started with iRules
• Using the iRules Editor
• Leveraging DevCentral resources for iRule development
• Exploring iRule elements, including events, functions, commands, variables, and operators
• Using control structures for conditional branching and looping
• Mastering whitespace, grouping, and special symbols
• Tracing iRule execution and profiling performance using the Rule Profiler
• Measuring iRule efficiency using timing statistics
• Logging from an iRule using syslog-ng and high-speed logging (HSL)
• Optimizing iRules execution, including implementing efficiency best practices
• Modularizing iRules for administrative efficiency, including using procedures
• Securing web applications with iRules, including preventing common HTTP attacks, securing HTTP headers and cookies, and implementing HTTP strict transport security (HSTS)
• Working with strings, including using Tcl parsing commands and iRules parsing functions
• Accessing and manipulating HTTP traffic, including applying selective HTTP compression
• Working with iFiles and data groups
• Using iRules with universal persistence and stream profiles
• Gathering statistics using STATS and ISTATS
• Incorporating advanced variables, including arrays, static variables, and the session table
Chapter 1: Setting Up the BIG-IP System
• Introducing the BIG-IP System
• Initially Setting Up the BIG-IP System
• Archiving the BIG-IP System Configuration
• Leveraging F5 Support Resources and Tools
Chapter 2: Getting Started with iRules
• Customizing Application Delivery with iRules
• Triggering an iRule
• Leveraging the DevCentral Ecosystem
• Using the F5 iRule Editor
• Assigning and Testing iRules
Chapter 3: Exploring iRule Elements
• Introducing iRule Constructs
• Understanding iRule Events and Event Context
• Working with iRule Commands
• Logging from an iRule Using SYSLOG-NG Working with User-Defined Variables
• Working with Operators and Data Types
• Working with Conditional Control Structures
• Incorporating Best Practices in iRules
Chapter 4: Developing and Troubleshooting iRules
• Mastering Whitespace and Special Symbols
• Developing and Troubleshooting Tips
• Tracing iRule Execution and Profiling Performance
• Using Fiddler to Test and Troubleshoot iRules
Chapter 5: Optimizing iRule Execution
• Understanding the Need for Efficiency
• Profiling iRule Performance with the Rule Profiler
• Measure iRule Runtime Efficiency Using Timing Statistics
• Modularizing iRules for Administrative Efficiency
• Using Procedures to Modularize Code
• Optimizing Logging
• Using High-Speed Logging Commands in an iRule
• Implementing Other Efficiencies
• Using Looping Control Structures
Chapter 6: Securing Web Applications with iRules
• Integrating iRules into Web Application Defense
• Mitigating HTTP Version Attacks
• Mitigating Path Traversal Attacks
• Using iRules to Defends Against Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF)
• Mitigating HTTP Method Vulnerabilities
• Securing HTTP Cookies with iRules
• Adding HTTP Security Headers
• Removing Undesirable HTTP Headers
Chapter 7: Working with Numbers and Strings
• Understanding Number Forms and Notation
• Working with Strings
• Combining Strings
• Using iRule String Parsing Functions
Chapter 8: Processing the HTTP Payload
• Reviewing HTTP Headers and Commands
• Accessing and Manipulating HTTP Headers
• Parsing the HTTP URI
• Selectively Compressing HTTP Data
Chapter 9: Working with iFiles and Data Groups
• Working with iFiles
• Introducing Data Groups
• Working with Old Format Data Groups
• Working with New Format Data Groups
Chapter 10: Using iRules with Universal Persistence, Stream, and Statistics Profiles
• Implementing Universal Persistence
• Working with the Stream Profile
• Collecting Statistics Using a Statistics Profile
• Collecting Statistics Using iStats
Chapter 11: Incorporating Advanced Variables
• Reviewing the Local Variable Namespace
• Working with Arrays
• Using Static and Global Variables
• Using the Session Table
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.