Designing the FlexPod Solution is a 2-day instructor-led course where you will learn to evaluate the FlexPod solution design process with regard to the contemporary data center challenges. The course provides a comprehensive understanding of the reconnaissance and analytics assess computing solution performance characteristics and requirements. In addition, this course will describe the hardware components of the FlexPod and the process for selecting proper hardware for a given set of requirements.
- Cisco UCS
- Cisco ACI Architecture
- Nexus 9k
- Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware 6
- Red Hat Linux OpenStack
- Basic understanding of storage operations
- Basic knowledge of server and server virtualization
- General knowledge of networking technologies
Delegates will learn how to
- Describe the FlexPod Solution
- Identify FlexPod Design Requirements
- Identify the supported Cisco UCS components
- Identify the supported NetApp storage components
- Identify the supported Cisco Nexus components
- Describe the FlexPod topology options
- Describing FlexPod validated management solutions
- Describe the FlexPod use case with VMware vSphere 6.0 and IP-Based Storage
- Describe the FlexPod use case with Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack
Module 1: FlexPod Data Center Solutions and Architecture
Business drivers for new data center architectures
- Providing on-demand secure, reliable, and simple to use resources
- Maintaining data security while meeting compliance requirements
- Expanding to new markets
- Offering support for mobile users
- Integrating hybrid cloud solutions
- Achitectures with applications that are responsive to the demands
- Architecture design for shared infrastructures
- FlexPod solutions and key features
- Cisco Validated Designs and NetApp Verified Architecture
FlexPod primary design principles
- Application availability
- Customer requirements
Characterize the existing environment
- Tools that help in auditing the existing network
Module 2: FlexPod Hardware and Software Selection and Sizing Considerations
- Cisco UCS features and key business benefits
Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Server options
- Categories of blades
Cisco UCS C-Series options
- Categories of C-Series Rack Servers
Cisco UCS Fabric Interconnect options
- Key features
Cisco UCS Mini options
- Ideal Cisco UCS Mini solution
- Cisco Interoperability Matrix tool
- UCS Sizer for Enterprise applications
- Key features of the NetApp solutions
- NetApp storage controllers series
- Disk options
- Key features of the NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP
- Hardware and software selection process
- Sizing tools
- Performance Modeler
- Cisco Nexus family of products
- Key features and benefits of the Cisco Nexus NX-OS
Cisco ACI architecture
- Reducing TCO
- Automating IT tasks
- Accelerating data center application deployments
- Mapping process
- Connectivity best practices
- FlexPod LAN
- FlexPod SAN
- VLAN and VSAN
- vPC role and function
- Shift from box-centric to application-centric network management
- Automation that is simplified through the application policy model
- Scalability, high performance, and multi-tenancy done in hardware
- Centralized, holistic visibility of infrastructure with real-time application monitoring
- Architecture openness
- The use of central control point for the data center—Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC)
- FlexPod design high availability
- Challenges of centralized automation and management of the FlexPod
- FlexPod validated management solutions
- UCS Director centralized automation
- Infrastructure Automation components
Module 3: FlexPod Designs Based on Platforms
- Customer profile
- Customer challenges and goals
- Customer existing environment
- VMware virtualization characteristics
- IP-based storage characteristics
- Design tools
- Customer requirement topology
- Customer use case
- Customer challenges and goals
- Existing customer environment
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack characteristics
- General Lab Setup
- Case Study 1-1: Letitgo Insurance Company Upgrade Overview
- Review the Customer’s Upgrade Scenario
- Document the Customer’s Current Challenges
- Document the Customer’s Design Requirements
- Present Reasons to Support the FlexPod Solutions
- Discuss the Customer’s Upgrade Scenario
- Case Study 2-1: Letitgo Insurance Company FlexPod Computing Design
- Review the Microsoft Exchange Application Design Criteria
- Select a Server and CPU Type
- Complete the Microsoft Exchange 2010 Sizing Questionnaire for Cisco UCS Sizer Form
- Use the Cisco UCS Sizer Tool to Create a Bill of Materials
- Discuss Your Cisco UCS Build Configuration
- Case Study 2-2: Letitgo Insurance Company FlexPod Storage Design
- Review the Microsoft Exchange Server Role Requirements Calculator Spreadsheet
- Use the NetApp System Performance Modeler to Create a Bill of Materials
- Discuss Your NetApp Sizing Results
- Exercise 3: Explore Cisco Nexus Switches Capabilities
- Case Study 2-4: Letitgo Insurance Company FlexPod Connectivity Design
- Review the Customer’s Scenario
- Create a Connectivity Diagram
- Answer Connectivity Diagram Questions
- Case Study 3-1: Acme Motorcycle Company FlexPod Design
- Review the customer’s upgrade scenario
- Review the design criteria
- Use any tool to create a FlexPod Bill of Materials
- Use the Cisco UCS Sizer and NetApp SPM tools to build the FlexPod Bill of Materials
- Case Study 3-2: APEX SAAS Provider Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack FlexPod Design
- Review the customer’s upgrade scenario.
- Review the design criteria.
- Use the sizing tools to create a FlexPod Bill of Materials
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.