Working well with all the players in your industry can be a daunting task. You have suppliers, employer groups and both internal and external clients. Add to the mix legislators, regulators, vendors, competitors, industry groups and various coalitions, and you have an intricate web of influence-makers and stakeholders to deal with. Don't forget the people you collaborate with everyday inside your own organisation. Building strong, mutually beneficial relationships with these key players can make the difference in your ability to meet your business and career goals.
This is where consulting skills and behaviours become critical to the Project and Programme Manager as businesses look to facilitate future success. Whether it is dealing with internal or external clients, there is a need to deliver a trusted advisor service that enhances business options. It is, therefore, essential for you to focus on building your skills as a consultant.
This course is designed for those who are involved in working in a project environment and want to build their consulting skills to achieve great results.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- know your communication approach and how to harness this knowledge to build relationships
- manoeuvre effectively around political minefields using a set of behaviours
- critical to getting things done in a positive way for all concerned
- understand the commercial drivers for both your organisation and your clients
- apply a conflict management approach to deal with different conflict situations
- truly appreciate the principles of influencing without direct authority and without negotiation
- understand the scope of your responsibilities to ensure you provide the right level of messaging to your client without selling your soul!
- role model exemplary behaviours, skills and attitudes consistently through professionalism and ethics
What will the course cover?
- What is a consultant.
- The consultancy cycle and the consultancy environment.
- Provide tools and techniques to gain commitment, and build stronger relationships with all interested parties including key stakeholders.
- Commercial awareness.
- Identify ways to influence and negotiate with those involved in the project.
- Feeding back to clients.
- Understanding politics and culture within the client environment.
- Provide a framework for conflict management.
- Discover the behavioural characteristics a project professional in a consulting role should ideally be.
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.