Get hands-on instruction and practice configuring advanced Windows Server 2012, including Windows Server 2012 R2, services in this five-day Microsoft Official Course. This course is part three in a series of three courses that provides the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment.
The three courses collectively cover implementing, managing, maintaining and provisioning services and infrastructure in a Windows Server 2012 environment. Although there is some cross-over of skills and tasks across these courses, this course focuses on advanced configuration of services necessary to deploy, manage and maintain a Windows Server 2012 infrastructure, such as advanced networking services, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Active Directory Rights Management Services (AD RMS), Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS), Network Load Balancing, Failover Clustering, business continuity and disaster recovery services as well as access and information provisioning and protection technologies such as Dynamic Access Control (DAC), and Web Application Proxy integration with AD FS and Workplace Join.
This course maps directly to and is the preferred choice for hands-on preparation for Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): Exam 412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services, which is the third of three exams required for MCSA: Windows Server 2012 credential.
Please Note: Labs in this course are based on the General Availability release of Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.
This course is intended for Information Technology (IT) Professionals with hands on experience implementing, managing and maintaining a Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2012 R2 environment who wish to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to perform advanced management and provisioning of services within that Windows Server 2012 environment. Candidates who would typically be interested in attending this course will be:
- Experienced Windows Server Administrators who have real world experience working in a Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012 enterprise environment.
- IT Professionals who are looking to take the exam 412, Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services.
- IT Professionals wishing to take the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) exams in Datacenter, Desktop Infrastructure, Messaging, Collaboration and Communications will also be interested in taking this course as they prepare for the MCSA exams, which are a pre-requisite for their individual specialties.
- Experience working with Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012 servers day to day in an Enterprise environment.
- The course pre-requisites can be met by having knowledge equivalent to, or by attendance at, courses 20410B: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 and 20411B: Administering Windows Server 2012 as this course will build upon the knowledge and skills covered in those courses
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Configure advanced features for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Domain Name System (DNS), and configure IP Address Management (IPAM) with Windows Server 2012.
- Configure and manage iSCSI, BranchCache and FSRM.
- Configure DAC to manage and audit access to shared files.
- Plan and implement an AD DS deployment that includes multiple domains and forests.
- Plan and implement an AD DS deployment that includes locations.
- Implement and configure an Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) deployment.
- Implement an AD RMS deployment.
- Implement an AD FS deployment.
- Provide high availability and load balancing for web-based applications by implementing Network Load Balancing (NLB).
- Implement and validate high availability and load balancing for web-based applications by implementing NLB.
- Provide high availability for network services and applications by implementing failover clustering.
- Implement a failover cluster, and configure and validate a highly available network service.
- Deploy and manage Hyper-V virtual machines in a failover cluster.
- Implement a backup and disaster recovery solution based on business and technical requirements.
Module 1: Implementing Advanced Network Services
In this module delegates will be able to configure advanced features for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS), and configure IP Address Management (IPAM).
- Configuring Advanced DHCP Features
- Configuring Advanced DNS Settings
- Implementing IPAM
- Managing IP Address Spaces with IPAM
Lab : Implementing Advanced Network Services
- Configuring Advanced DHCP Settings
- Configuring Advanced DNS Settings
- Configuring IPAM
Module 2: Implementing Advanced File Services
In this module delegates will be able to configure file services to meet advanced business requirements.
- Configuring iSCSI Storage
- Configuring BranchCache
- Optimizing Storage Usage
Lab : Implementing Advanced File Services
- Configuring iSCSI Storage
- Configuring the File Classification Infrastructure
Lab : Implementing BranchCache
- Configuring the Main Office Servers for BranchCache
- Configuring the Branch Office Servers for BranchCache
- Configuring Client Computers for BranchCache
- Monitoring BranchCache
Module 3: Implementing Dynamic Access Control
In this module delegates will be able to configure Dynamic Access Control (DAC) to manage and audit access to shared files.
- Overview of DAC
- Implementing DAC Components
- Implementing DAC for Access Control
- Implementing Access Denied Assistance
- Implementing and Managing Work Folders
Lab : Implementing Secure Data Access
- Preparing for DAC deployment
- Implementing DAC
- Validating and Remediating DAC
- Implementing Work Folders
Module 4: Implementing Distributed AD DS Deployments
In this module delegates will be able to plan and implement an Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) deployment that includes multiple domains and forests.
- Overview of Distributed AD DS Deployments
- Deploying a Distributed AD DS Environment
- Configuring AD DS Trusts
Lab : Implementing Distributed AD DS Deployments
- Implementing Child Domains in AD DS
- Implementing Forest Trusts
Module 5: Implementing AD DS Sites and Replication
In this module delegates will be able to plan and implement an AD DS deployment that includes multiple locations.
- AD DS Replication Overview
- Configuring AD DS Sites
- Configuring and Monitoring AD DS Replication
Lab : Implementing AD DS Sites and Replication
- Modifying the Default Site
- Creating Additional Sites and Subnets
- Configuring AD DS Replication
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting AD DS Replication
Module 6: Implementing Active Directory Certificate Services
In this module delegates will be able to implement an Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) deployment.
- Using Certificates in a Business Environment
- PKI Overview
- Deploying CAs
- Deploying and Managing Certificate Templates
- Implementing Certificate Distribution and Revocation
- Managing Certificate Recovery
Lab : Deploying and Configuring CA Hierarchy
- Deploying a Stand-alone Root CA
- Deploying an Enterprise Subordinate CA
Lab : Deploying and Managing Certificates
- Configuring Certificate Templates
- Configuring Certificate Enrollment
- Configuring Certificate Revocation
- Configuring Key Recovery
Module 7: Implementing Active Directory Rights Management Services
In this module delegates will be able to implement an AD RMS deployment.
- AD RMS Overview
- Deploying and Managing an AD RMS Infrastructure
- Configuring AD RMS Content Protection
- Configuring External Access to AD RMS
Lab : Implementing AD RMS
- Installing and Configuring AD RMS
- Configuring AD RMS Templates
- Implementing the AD RMS Trust Policies
- Verifying the AD RMS Deployment
Module 8: Implementing Active Directory Federation Services
In this module delegates will be able to implement an Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) deployment.
- Overview of AD FS
- Deploying AD FS
- Implementing AD FS for a Single Organization
- Deploying AD FS in a Business-to-Business Federation Scenario
- Extending AD FS to External Clients
Lab : Implementing AD FS
- Installing and Configuring AD FS
- Configuring an Internal Application for AD FS
Lab : Implementing AD FS for External Partners and Users
- Configuring AD FS for a Federated Business Partner
- Configuring Web Application Proxy
Module 9: Implementing Network Load Balancing
In this module delegates will be able to provide high availability and load balancing for web-based applications by implementing Network Load Balancing (NLB).
- Overview of NLB
- Configuring an NLB Cluster
- Planning an NLB Implementation
Lab : Implementing NLB
- Implementing an NLB Cluster
- Configuring and Managing the NLB Cluster
- Validating High Availability for the NLB Cluster
Module 10: Implementing Failover Clustering
In this module delegates will be able to provide high availability for network services and applications by implementing failover clustering.
- Failover Clustering Overview
- Implementing a Failover Cluster
- Configuring Highly Available Applications and Services on a Failover Cluster
- Maintaining a Failover Cluster
- Implementing a Multi-Site Failover Cluster
Lab : Implementing Failover Clustering
- Configuring a Failover Cluster
- Deploying and Configuring a Highly Available File Server
- Validating the Deployment of the Highly Available File Server
- Configuring Cluster-Aware Updating on the Failover Cluster
Module 11: Implementing Failover Clustering with Hyper-V
In this module delegates will be able to deploy and manage Hyper-V virtual machines in a failover cluster.
- Overview of Integrating Hyper-V with Failover Clustering
- Implementing Hyper-V Virtual Machines on Failover Clusters
- Implementing Hyper-V Virtual Machine Movement
- Managing Hyper-V Virtual Environments by Using VMM
Lab : Implementing Failover Clustering with Hyper-V
- Configuring Hyper-V Replicas
- Configuring a Failover Cluster for Hyper-V
- Configuring a Highly Available Virtual Machine
Module 12: Implementing Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
In this module delegates will be able to implement a backup and disaster recovery solution based on business and technical requirements.
- Data Protection Overview
- Implementing Windows Server Backup
- Implementing Server and Data Recovery
Lab : Implementing Windows Server Backup and Restore
- Backing Up Data on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Server
- Restoring Files Using Windows Server Backup
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.