Designed for experienced IT professionals, you will learn to build and combine App Layers to optimize management of your app and desktop images for use with Citrix Machine Creation Services (MCS) and Citrix Provisioning.
You will leave this course with a good understanding of how to manage additional solutions and features in your Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop or Citrix DaaS site.
Product Versions Covered: Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1912 LTSR, Citrix App Layering 2003
In order for you to be able to fully complete your labs it is required for learners to have a valid email account and a mobile phone on which you can install an authenticator app on in order to activate Multifactor Authentication. please note, you will not be asked to submit to QA your email address and your email address will be used for no other purpose than activation of the Multifactor Authentication.
Citrix course materials are only available to delegates in e-courseware format. Delegates will be provided with instructions on how to access their e-courseware on day one of the event. Those delegates who are attending via either virtual or extended classroom will be required to provide either three monitors (to view courseware, labs and instructor demos simultaneously) or two monitors and a mobile device.
Strong foundational knowledge of Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 or Citrix DaaS
Delegates will learn how to
- Create, administer, and manage App Layering OS, platform, application, elastic, and user layers.
- Integrate Citrix App Layering into a Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops or Citrix DaaS deployment that uses Machine Creation Services (MCS) or Citrix Provisioning.
Module 1: Introduction to Citrix App Layering
- App Layering Introduction
- Citrix App Layering Benefits
- Layer Introductions
Module 2: Planning – Citrix App Layering Architecture
- Architecture and Technical Overview
- The Enterprise Layer Manager (ELM) Server
- The Process to Create a VM Using App Layering
- The Layered Image Boot Process Flow
- The Citrix App Layering Management Console
- App Layering Connectors
Module 3: Planning - OS Layers
- Create an OS Layer
- How Many OS Layers?
- OS Layer Considerations
- OS Layer Benefits
Module 4: Planning – Platform Layers
- Create a Platform Layer
- How Many Platform Layers?
- Platform Layer Considerations
- Platform Layer Types
Module 5: Planning – App Layers
- Create an App Layer
- How Many App Layers?
- App Layer Considerations
- App Layer Benefits
- How to Update a Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops Catalog Using Citrix App Layering?
Module 6: Planning – Elastic App Layers and User Layers
- Elastic App Layering
- Elastic App Layer Use Case
- How Many Elastic Layers?
- Elastic Layer Considerations
- What are User Layers?
- User Layer Requirements
- User Layer Considerations
- User Layer Locations
- User Layer Storage Location Considerations
Module 7: Planning – Using Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops with App Layering
- Create a Template
- Template Considerations
- Layers Review
- Scenario Walk Through Example to Use App Layering to Plan out Images
- Prepare the Layered Image for MCS
- Use App Layering with MCS
Module 8: Planning - Layer Priority and Maintaining an App Layering Environment
- Layer Priority
- Layer Priority Function
- How to Update Layers
- Layer Update Considerations
- Coordinate and Manage the ELM Server
- ELM Server Backup Considerations
- ELM Multi-Location
- Backups for Layers
- ELM Server Update Considerations
- Layering Anti-Virus
- Layering Microsoft Office
- App Layering Recipes, Documentation and Labs
Module 9: Building an App Layering Environment (On-Demand Only)
- Installing and Configuring the ELM Server
- Preparing a Windows Server OS Image
- Creating an OS Layer
- Creating a Platform Layer
- Installing Citrix VDA and Joining Domain
- Creating an App Layer
- Creating an Elastic App Layer
- Configuring a User Layer Repository
- Creating an Image Template
- Creating a Machine Catalog
- Creating a Delivery Group
- Launching the Published Resources
- Exploring Layer Priority and Maintaining an App Layering Environment
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.