This core-level technical course is designed for people looking to develop their computer forensics investigation skills, either for a career in digital investigations or as part of their current cyber role.
Gain an understanding of digital forensics analysis by learning about forensic principles, evidence continuity and methodology to employ when conducting a digital forensic investigation.
This four-day course will provide you with a practical base understanding of the legalities, best practice and methodologies used in the current digital forensic investigation environment. The course content covers seizure, evidence handling and data preservation, through to investigation and interpretation, and finally the reporting and presentation of findings.
Experience with Microsoft Windows OS and, ideally, a general appreciation of forensic principles, practices and software.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Those responsible or eager to become responsible for computer forensic investigations, including:
- Cyber Forensic & Network Investigators
- IT Security Officers
- Law Enforcement Officials
Delegates will learn how to
THE SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN
Using practical scenarios based on Windows 7 artefacts with the latest disk technologies, you will learn the following:
• The principles and guidelines for static digital forensic investigations
• The process of evidence continuity
• The fundamentals of the complete forensic investigation process
• The forensic acquisition of an electronic device
• How data is stored on electronic media
• How to work with key forensic investigation products
• How to identify Windows based OS forensic artefacts
The course will also provide answers to many questions including:
- What skills and qualifications do I need to practice digital forensics?
- How and where is data actually stored on a device?
- What is the difference between forensic imaging and cloning?
- Is keyword searching an effective way to identify data on a device?
- What is hashing and how can it be used in digital forensics?
- What happens when a user deletes a file or empties a recycle bin?
- How does ‘Private’ web-browsing work?
- Can data be recovered after 7 pass overwrite?
- Is there a backdoor to passwords and encryption?
- Who was using a computer on a particular occasion?
- How can I identify if and when a user edited or accessed a file?
The course will give you:
- An understanding of each stage of a forensic investigation, from evidence seizure through to data investigation and interpretation, to report and presentation of findings
- The skills to allow you to undertake the forensic acquisition of an electronic device
- Confidence in working with key forensic investigation products
- An industry-recognised qualification in forensic investigation and ideal preparation for the 7Safe CFIS advanced course
Introduction to Digital Forensics
Investigation Guidelines and Process
Identification & Seizure
Understanding Electronic Data
Understand how data is stored on electronic devices
Analyse the functionality of a computer file system
Physical and Logical Disks
File Systems and Data Storage
Dates, Times and Metadata
Forensic Analysis Techniques
Function, structure and operation of the Windows registry
Contents and layout of forensic reports
Hardware and Software
Addressing hardware employed during a forensic investigation
Familiarisation with forensic software
Investigating Windows artefacts
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.