This 3-day course provides candidates with an understanding in the principles of, and practical experience of, using industry best practice in Problem Management.
This qualification reflects the general industry best practices currently in use in IT Service Management (ITSM) and particularly Problem Management. The subject matter within this qualification is based on industry best practice, frameworks and guidelines including ITIL, COBIT and ISO/IEC 20000. This qualification forms part of the 'BCS ITSM Specialist' series.
- Individuals who require a working knowledge of the industry best practice used in Problem Management and how it may be used to enhance the quality of ITSM within an organisation.
- IT professionals who are working within an organisation which has adopted and adapted some of these practices and are required to deliver or improve Problem Management within an ongoing Service Improvement Programme (SIP)
- Individuals who wish to sit the BCS Specialist Certificate in Problem Management Exam (sat on the last day of the course)
- Candidates must hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate V3 or V2 with Managers Bridge. It is recommended that candidates have a minimum of two years' experience in IT Service Management.
- Success on the course will be enhanced by candidates spending at lead 10 hours on reviewing their ITIL Foundation material prior to attending one of the BCS Specialist courses.
- If you are taking a BCS exam you must bring photographic identification with you (passport, driving license or student card), as it is a BCS requirement to produce it for the invigilator prior to the exam. Failure to produce a valid form of photographic identification will result in a candidate not being able to sit the exam. For any questions about what form of identification is acceptable please contact your Account Manager or the QA Examination Administration team on 44 (0)1793 696273.
- BCS allow additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Full details are provided in the BCS Reasonable Adjustments Policy which is available to view on the BCS website. If you believe you qualify for this then please notify the Exam Administration team on the details below as early as possible. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the BCS policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email email@example.com or by phone 44(0) 1793 696162.
Proof of prerequisites MUST be produced on the day of the exam to the trainer.
Acceptable forms of prerequisite confirmation are as follows:
- A copy of the candidates examination certificate
- Confirmed entry in the AXELOS Successful Candidate Register. You will need to provide the full SCR number (registration/candidate number located on your certificate).
Delegates without evidence of the prerequisites will NOT be permitted to sit the exam. For any queries on this please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Holders of the BCS Specialist Certificate in Problem Management will be able to demonstrate their competence in, and their ability to:
- Explain the goal and objectives of Problem Management
- Understand and explain the processes, roles and functions, especially those related to Problem Management
- Use different approaches to, and application of, standards, industry best practice frameworks and guidelines, relevant to Problem Management
- Develop and improve the customer and business focus of problem management
- Use and apply the problem management process to manage the resolution of problems in conjunction with all other areas of IT
- Define problem management requirements and understand, select, develop and implement the most appropriate problem management solutions, technology and environment
- Implement and manage problems through all stages of the problem lifecycle
- Develop and agree problem and incident categories and priorities in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders
- Co-ordinate, schedule, target and focus resources on the resolution of problems and incidents, based on priorities
- Be aware of the support tools and techniques available for the implementation and support of problem management and where possible identify and instigate improvements
- Practical analysis of problem and incident records, reports and statistics and propose resolutions to reduce the number of problems and incidents by proactively preventing potential incidents, in conjunction with the service desk and incident management Produce problem management reports for dissemination and interpret and use their contents
- Understand the interdependencies between problem management and other IT areas and processes
- Assist with the planning and implementation of problem management
This course is for those working or preparing to work in a Problem Management role and/or within a Problem Management process whether at a technical, operational, supervisory or managerial level. This course may also be of interest to Project Managers, Business Managers and Business Process Owners.
The purpose of the Specialist qualification in Problem Management is to certify that the candidate has gained the knowledge of relevant industry best practices and is capable of applying them in a working environment.
Please note that as of the 31st March 2015 the ITIL Complementary Qualifications scheme which these BCS Specialist courses link to, is to be withdrawn. Candidates who take this course and exam PRIOR to this date will still receive an additional 1 ½ credits towards their existing ITIL credits. Any BCS Specialist exams taken after this date, will no longer count towards their ITIL qualification credit status.
The examination is a 1½ hours 'closed book', multiple-choice paper. There are 25 questions which are scenario based.
Normally, the examination will be held on-site at the conclusion of the course. However, BCS will normally also arrange four central examinations per year in March, June, September and December; please contact the BCS for further details.
This qualification forms part of the BCS ITSM Specialist series.
ITIL® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS.