Managing people effectively and appropriately can be the make or break of success. This certification assesses knowledge and understanding of the concepts, tools and techniques used to successfully lead and manage teams for high performance as well as a range of best-practice models for leadership, management and interpersonal skills, which are required in the modern workplace.
Key areas of the course include:
Models for Team Leadership
- Adair’s Action Centred Leadership
- Goleman’s EQ
- Hersey & Blanchard’s Situational Leadership Model
- Whitmore’s GROW model
- Leadership vs management
- Leadership styles
- Performance Management
- Examination on the afternoon of day 2
Please note that the course timetable is designed to include coverage of new content up to around mid-afternoon on day 2.
Delegates should be prepared to spend around 2-3 hours on pre-course reading/preparation and 2 hours on homework and revision activities.
This may include activities set by the instructor as appropriate.
This certification is relevant for anyone wishing to gain an understanding of the key frameworks and techniques applied when leading teams.
The certification will be of benefit to anyone responsible for leading teams on business change projects, in particular senior business analysts.
Note that if you are intending to work towards the BCS Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis then you must already have the International Diploma in Business Analysis. Please also see the Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis Certification path.
This 2-day specialist course leads to the BCS Professional Certificate in Team Leadership.
It is recommended that delegates should have completed, or have knowledge to the level of, the BCS International Business Analysis Diploma or the BCS Solutions Development Diploma, before attempting this course
The course syllabus is aimed at obtaining a level of knowledge at K4 (‘Analyse’ according to Bloom’s taxonomy). See the following link for more details about knowledge levels, www.bcs.org/levels.
Prerequisites for including this course as part of the Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis:
This course is one of the 4 BCS professional certificates offered by QA which can be combined and lead to the Advanced Diploma in Business Analysis.
If you are planning to work towards obtaining the Advanced Diploma then you must already hold the BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis and provide further evidential criteria, see below for details.
How do you obtain the Advanced Diploma?
Anyone who holds the BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis can begin working towards the BCS Advanced Diploma.
There are three elements to be achieved in order to be awarded the Advanced Diploma:
- Gain certifications in four subject areas across three skill domains
- Provide evidence of a minimum of five years’ experience in business analysis
- Provide evidence of engaging with the BA community
If you are taking a BCS exam you must bring photographic identification with you (passport, driving license or student card), as it is a BCS requirement to produce it for the invigilator prior to the exam. Failure to produce a valid form of photographic identification will result in a candidate not being able to sit the exam. For any questions about what form of identification is acceptable please contact your Account Manager or the QA Examination Administration team on + 44 (0)1793 696162.
BCS allow additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Full details are provided in the BCS Reasonable Adjustments Policy which is available to view on the BCS website. If you believe you qualify for this then please notify the Exam Administration team on the details below as early as possible. At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise QA and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the BCS policy. QA Exam Administration can be contacted by email: email@example.com or by phone + 44 (0)1793 696162.
Candidates should be able to:
- Understand the impact of management and leadership behaviour on teams, individuals and the organisation
- Understand the importance of being a behavioural role model for the team
- Identify the benefits and drawbacks of different leadership styles
- Describe the key factors that will influence the choice of leadership style in your team
- Describe appropriate actions to enhance leadership behaviour in the context of Adair’s Action Centred Leadership
- Assess own leadership and management behaviours and potential in the context of Goleman’s EQ using feedback from others
- Understand how communication affects team behaviour and performance
- Explain how to communicate and influence effectively
- Describe a range of tools to engage and empower individuals and teams
- Understand the value of managing performance for organisational and individual needs
- Explain how to manage team members in the context of Hersey & Blanchard’s Situational Leadership Model®
- Describe how to set clear and performance objectives, which are aligned with organisational strategy and vision
- Understand how to evaluate and manage the performance of individuals in the team
- Describe the value of performance feedback and how to provide it effectively using a range of tools
- Explain how Whitmore’s GROW model can be used to coach team members to high performance
- Identify a range of techniques for dealing constructively with underperformance
- Understand how to prioritise work effectively in a changing environment
- Describe techniques for decision-making which support different levels of team empowerment
- Understand the effects of organisational change on individuals
- Describe effective communication strategies to lead the team through change
- Explain the managed process for implementing change
Module 1 - Leadership (10%)
- Definition of Leadership
- Leadership Theories
Module 2 - Team Leadership (15%)
- Responsibilities of the Team Leader
- Leadership Styles
- Action Centred Leadership
Module 3 - Emotional Intelligence (5%)
- Building Trust
- Concept of EQ
- EI Competencies
- Strategies for Developing Emotional Awareness
Module 4 - Participative Leadership (12.5%)
- Team Engagement & Empowerment
- Situational Leadership
Module 5 - Positive Communication (20%)
- The Betari Box
- Mehrabian’s Rule
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict MODE Instrument
- Communication Styles
Module 6 - Managing Team Performance (17.5%)
- Definition of Performance
- Setting Performance Objectives
- Evaluating Performance
- Situation-Behaviour-Impact model
- Coaching for Performance
Module 7 - Managing Time and Priorities (10%)
- Identifying Priorities
- Managing Time
- The Time Management Matrix
Module 8 - Leading Teams Through Change (10%)
- Impact of Change
- The Change Curve
- Communicating Change
- Implementing Change
Frequently asked questionsSee all of our FAQs
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.