This comprehensive, fast-paced training course focuses on installing, configuring, and managing VMware NSX™. This course covers NSX as a part of the software-defined data center platform, implementation use cases along with features of NSX, and functionality operating at Layer 2 through Layer 7 of the OSI model. Lecture and hands-on lab activities support the student's understanding of VMware NSX features, functionality, and ongoing management and control.
Experienced system administrators that specialize in networking
VMware Video on Demand offers a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training, delivering modular videos that can be accessed any time, anywhere, and from any device.
VMware On Demand is a robust, self-paced learning solution delivering modular training combined with hands-on practice labs, giving you a powerful alternative to traditional classroom training.
- Compelling: Interactive modules with labs that build as you progress
- Official e-courseware
- Comprehensive: Rich content equivalent to classroom training that meets certification course requirements, including final assessments. Some courses also include bonus items like exam vouchers.
- Convenient: 30 days to access the content multiple times at your pace
- VCP Certification Exam Voucher
- System administration experience on Microsoft Windows or Linux operating systems
- Understanding of concepts presented in the VMware Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals course for
- VCA-DCV certification
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Describe the evolution of the software-defined data center
- Describe how NSX is the next step in the evolution of the software-defined data center
- Describe data center prerequisites for NSX deployment
- Configure and deploy NSX components for management and control
- Describe basic NSX layer 2 networking
- Configure, deploy, and use logical switch networks
- Configure and deploy NSX distributed router appliances to establish East-West connectivity
- Configure and deploy VMware NSX Edge™ services gateway
- appliances to establish North-South connectivity
- Configure and use all main features of the NSX Edge services gateway
- Configure NSX Edge firewall rules to restrict network traffic
- Configure NSX distributed firewall rules to restrict network traffic
- Use role-based access to control user account privileges
- Use activity monitoring to determine whether a security policy is effective
- Configure service composer policies
- Introductions and course logistics
- Course objectives
VMware NSX Components for Management and Control
- Introduction to VMware vSphere® Virtualization
- Evolution of the software-defined data center
- Introduction to NSX
- VMware NSX Manager™
- NSX Controller cluster
Logical Switch Networks
- Ethernet fundamentals
- VMware vSphere® Distributed Switch™ overview
- Switch link aggregation
- VXLAN: Logical Switch Networks
- VMware NSX Controller™ replication
Routing with VMware NSX Edge Appliances
- Routing protocols primer
- NSX logical router
- NSX Edge services gateway
Features of the VMware NSX Edge Services Gateway
- Network address translation
- Load balancing
- High availability
- Virtual private networking: Layer 2 VPN; IPsec VPN; SSL VPN-Plus
- VLAN-to-VXLAN bridging
VMware NSX Security
- NSX Edge firewall
- NSX distributed firewall
- Role-based access control
- NSX data endpoint
- Flow Monitoring
- Service Composer
- Online exam voucher
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.