The achievement of the Association for Project Management (APM) 'Introductory Certificate: The APM Project Fundamentals Qualification' is an excellent way to demonstrate a basic awareness of project management and how projects differ from 'business as usual' activities. Delivered by fully accredited trainers with extensive experience of applying the APM approach, the course ensures that you gain sufficient understanding to be confident in the practical application of project management as an informed team member.
This course is suitable for those looking to gain an understanding of project management, or those who are not directly involved in project management but who wish to become familiar with project management processes and key terms. It is also ideal for project managers as a pre-cursor to more advanced certification such as the APMP: The APM Project Management Qualification.
Once purchased, the Video Based Learning and associated exam are active for a 12-month period only, you are required to have sat your exam within this timeframe.
Key Examination Information
Introductory Certificate: The APM Project Fundamentals Qualification Examination (One-hour multiple choice examination).
- Differentiate between project management and the operating environment
- Define the management structure by which projects operate
- Apply project management planning
- Describe project scope management
- Contribute to scheduling and resource management
- Apply risk management and issue management
- Define project quality management
- Manage communication in the project environment
- Recognise the importance of stakeholder management
- Explain principles of leadership and teamwork
The Introductory Certificate: The APM Project Fundamentals Qualification eLearning course follows the syllabus provided by APM, which is built around the APM Body of Knowledge 6th edition. The eLearning course provides delegates with a broad understanding of the underpinning tools, techniques and principles that are fundamental to successful project delivery.
Project Management and the Operating Environment
Projects are undertaken in a unique environment. Delegates are introduced to the factors that shape that environment.
- Differences between a project and business as usual
- Purpose and core components of project management and the benefits of effective project management
- Programme and portfolio management
- Project environment and the PESTLE acronym
- Use and phases of a typical project life cycle and reasons for structuring projects into phases
- Roles and responsibilities of: project manager, project sponsor, project steering group/board, project team members, project office and end users
Project Management Planning
Delegates are introduced to the principles and techniques of effective project planning from the outset.
- Purpose and the typical content of a business case, including benefits
- Purpose and production of a project management plan
- Stakeholders, stakeholder management and stakeholder analysis
- Estimating methods (including analytical, comparative, parametric), estimating funnel
- Success criteria, success factors and the use of KPIs
- Purpose and benefits of project reporting
- Project scope management, including product and work breakdown structures and Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM) with RACI
- Configuration management and change control
- Different approaches to scheduling (including critical path analysis, Gantt (bar) charts, baselines and milestones)
- Resource management
- Procurement within the context of project management
- Risk management and issue management
- Project risk management process and the use of a risk register
- Issue and issue management and the use of an issue log
In addition to understanding the tools and techniques of project management the key aspects of engaging with people are covered.
- Definition and methods of communication
- Barriers to effective communication
- The communication plan
- Leadership and teamwork
- Role of project team leader
- Teamwork models
- Exam included
Frequently asked questions
How can I create an account on myQA.com?
There are a number of ways to create an account. If you are a self-funder, simply select the "Create account" option on the login page.
If you have been booked onto a course by your company, you will receive a confirmation email. From this email, select "Sign into myQA" and you will be taken to the "Create account" page. Complete all of the details and select "Create account".
If you have the booking number you can also go here and select the "I have a booking number" option. Enter the booking reference and your surname. If the details match, you will be taken to the "Create account" page from where you can enter your details and confirm your account.
Find more answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQs: Bookings & Cancellations page.
How do QA’s virtual classroom courses work?
Our virtual classroom courses allow you to access award-winning classroom training, without leaving your home or office. Our learning professionals are specially trained on how to interact with remote attendees and our remote labs ensure all participants can take part in hands-on exercises wherever they are.
We use the WebEx video conferencing platform by Cisco. Before you book, check that you meet the WebEx system requirements and run a test meeting (more details in the link below) to ensure the software is compatible with your firewall settings. If it doesn’t work, try adjusting your settings or contact your IT department about permitting the website.
Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
How do QA’s online courses work?
QA online courses, also commonly known as distance learning courses or elearning courses, take the form of interactive software designed for individual learning, but you will also have access to full support from our subject-matter experts for the duration of your course. When you book a QA online learning course you will receive immediate access to it through our e-learning platform and you can start to learn straight away, from any compatible device. Access to the online learning platform is valid for one year from the booking date.
All courses are built around case studies and presented in an engaging format, which includes storytelling elements, video, audio and humour. Every case study is supported by sample documents and a collection of Knowledge Nuggets that provide more in-depth detail on the wider processes.
Learn more about QA’s online courses.
When will I receive my joining instructions?
Joining instructions for QA courses are sent two weeks prior to the course start date, or immediately if the booking is confirmed within this timeframe. For course bookings made via QA but delivered by a third-party supplier, joining instructions are sent to attendees prior to the training course, but timescales vary depending on each supplier’s terms. Read more FAQs.
When will I receive my certificate?
Certificates of Achievement are issued at the end the course, either as a hard copy or via email. Read more here.