Designed to bring the learning to life in the workplace, QA developed an
intensive programme which combined instructor-led sessions with selfguided
study and work-based activities. Lasting 14 weeks, it was structured
so that the strands of learning complemented one another on the path to APMP certification.
The standard APMP learning was broken down into modules to be completed over the 14 week
programme. The components included:
- A schedule of instructor-led APMP training delivered by Virtual Classroom, with delegates dialing into instructor-led sessions via the internet
- A self-study workbook split into modules to be complement the instructor-led learning
Alongside the APMP learning, the programme was coupled with a schedule of additional
exercises to embed the learning back in the workplace. These included:
- Trainer marked assignments – Delegates were required to produce essays focusing on how
the learning can be applied to the QinetiQ environment. These were then reviewed by a QA
project management expert.
- Work-based assignments – Delegates worked in groups to look at how a specific subject
area applied to QinetiQ’s business. Each week, a new subject area was explored, aligned
to key competency areas targeted to QinetiQ’s business. Experienced QinetiQ project
professionals provided feedback to assist learners in contextualising the topic. Finally,
delegates shared their findings in a presentation explaining how APMP was being applied
on their projects and any improvements and/or efficiencies that could be made.
- Exam crammer workshops were scheduled to help delegates prepare for their APMP exam
To reinforce the companywide approach to projects, each training group was made up of project
professionals from different areas of QinetiQ’s business, promoting consistency across its teams.