Paul Gregory | 22 November 2012
With Windows 8, most of us are using hardware that was designed and produced before Windows 8 and therefore does not take advantage of the Windows 8 power management and fast boot services. Chances are that has made tasks like shutting down a Windows 8 computer appear to take more steps than you would like...
Whereas it would be quite easy to add a shutdown, a script has been developed and placed on the TechNet Gallery website which makes it much easier to add the Shutdown, Logoff and Restart functions to the Start screen - especially if you wish to add them via a script for mass rollout.
The download contains a PowerShell module to add the icons. Having downloaded the module and extracted the files open an Administrator PowerShell prompt (from the start screen type PowerShell, right click the icon and click 'RunAs Administrator' from the bar at the bottom of the screen). From the folder the files have been extracted to, enter the following commands:
- Set-Executionolicy Unrestricted (if required)
- Import-module CreateWindowsTile
- Run one or more of the following commands:
- New-OSCWindowsTile- This will create all three icons
- New-OSCWindowsTile -ShutdownTile or CreateShutDownTileto create the Shutdown tile only
- New-OSCWindowsTile -RestartTile or CreateRestartTileto create the Restart tile only
- New-OSCWindowsTile -LogoffTile or CreateLogoffTile to create the Logoff tile only