Steve Brennan | 21 January 2013
This week saw the exciting release of Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) courses and certifications into the commercial world. Until now, there haven’t been enough certification programs that focus on fundamental IT and development skills and the new Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) will fill this void.
So what is MTA?
MTA courses and certifications are designed for people who are seeking an entry point into the Microsoft technology world. MTA will offer people a certification in the fundamentals of IT and development. Unlike more advanced Microsoft certifications, the MTA targets students with no prior IT or development experience or employment. Pass just one exam and you'll earn a certification, taking your first step toward a career in technology.
As a curriculum the MTA courses and certifications are ideal for a wide audience, including non technical Project Managers working and managing technology projects, individuals embarking on a career change into IT and also new graduates and college leavers who are in their first technology jobs.
In addition to giving students a basic certification, MTA is also designed to be a stepping stone to other, more sophisticated Microsoft technology certifications, such as the MCTS (Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist) and the new MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) and MCSD (Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer) Certifications.
MTA courses and exams
In total, MTA offers 10 certifications across three technology areas, covering IT Infrastructure, Database and Software Development. To see a visual representation of the MTA certifications, download the MTA certification path.
The MTAIT infrastructure trackis aimed at people building a career in desktop or server infrastructure or private cloud computing and provides 4 certifications:
- Exam 98-349: Windows Operating System Fundamentals
- Exam 98-365: Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
- Exam 98-366: Networking Fundamentals
- Exam 98-367: Security Fundamentals
The MTAdatabase trackis aimed at people building a career in data platform administration or business intelligence and provides 1 certification:
- Exam 98-364: Database Fundamentals
The MTAdevelopment trackis aimed at people building a career as a software developer, and provides a total of 5 certifications.
- Exam 98-361: Software Development Fundamentals
- Exam 98-362: Windows Development Fundamentals
- Exam 98-363: Web Development Fundamentals
- Exam 98-372: .NET Fundamentals
- Exam 98-375: HTML5 App Development Fundamentals
QA's MTA offering
We are currently offering 8 of the most popular MTA certifications uniquely delivered into 4 x 5 day Fastrack courses:
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Networking Fundamentals and Security Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Windows Operating System Fundamentals and Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Software Development Fundamentals and Microsoft .NET Fundamentals
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Web Development Fundamentals and HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals
In addition, QA has also extended our popular Knowledge in a Box Certifications (KIAB) for these new MTA certifications. With our MTA Knowledge in a Box certifications, you get everything you need to become MTA certified, all for one price, including a self-paced learning kit, classroom training courses, practice tests and examinations:
- MTA: Networking Fundamentals and Security Fundamentals
- MTA: Software Development Fundamentals and Microsoft .NET Fundamentals
- MTA: Web Development Fundamentals and HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals
- MTA: Windows Server Administration Fundamentals and Windows Operating System Fundamentals
Being a member of Microsoft's Global Partner Advisory Council for Learning, I have been in a fortunate position over the last year to understand Microsoft's thinking around the value of MTA in the commercial world. I share the belief that MTA is a fantastic entry point into IT certification and IT job preparation. If you are just starting your IT career path or looking to pursue a career path using Microsoft technologies in IT infrastructure, database design, or software development - MTA course and certifications are for you.