In celebration of International Women's Day, we interviewed a number of successful women at QA. We caught up with Laura Barton-Hawkins, Business Development Consultant at QA to find out more about her, her career journey and achievements.
- Who inspired you to strive in your career?
"I am lucky enough to be surrounded by women who make an impact every day in their jobs – for me personally, my mum has played a big part in wanting to feel successful in my career; my first day as an apprentice in a local college was the trigger for me having that hunger to achieve."
- Has being a woman ever hindered your professional development? If so, how did you deal with it?
"Thankfully I have a strong network of women around me, and the seniors within our business offer a great example to what you can achieve if you put your mind to it – my mentor within QA has offered extensive wisdom and challenges to help me grow and without that support I wouldn’t be where I am today!"
- Have you experienced any challenges getting to where you are? If so, how did you overcome them?
"The biggest challenge is change – adapting to your working environment, your customer and your situation all help an individual become confident. My attitude and behaviour towards certain situations has allowed me to become a leader and this was something, that on reflection, has had a massive impact on my success. I can now focus my priorities to help other people become the best they can be. "
- What advice would you give to other women aspiring to get into your profession and succeed professionally?
"Take advice from someone you respect and trust. Look around you and learn from others – you’ll be amazed at what you observe. Have an appreciation of emotional intelligence and why people are the way they are; it will put you in good stead for empowering yourself when in difficult situations which all leads to being a success. "
Watch our video showcasing women who have embraced a career in technology.
Hear more from some inspirational women at QA.
- Karen Orr-Director of People and Engagement
- Natalie Stayte- Head of Talent Acquistion
- Mary Sansom- Marketing and Communications Director QA Apprenticeships
- Jane Atkinson-Weller- Head of Office Applications
- Lucy Cartlidge- Account Director