Our Cyber Security Technical Apprenticeship combines high-quality classroom training with on-the-job experience to develop apprentices real world skills in information security. Our programme teaches learners how to identify and mitigate against malware types, potential cyber-crime attacks, and explore ways of securing networks and services using cryptography.

This programme develops a blend of technical skills across digital security, information assurance and risk management to make apprentices security aware and productive in a commercial setting.

What’s included?

Our programme incorporates Information Security Technical Apprenticeships at SCQF Level 8.

On successful completion of the programme the following qualifications are gained:

  • Technical apprenticeship in Information Security, including SQA diploma in Information Security at SCQF Level 8, plus career skills and training leading industry certifications.

The entry requirements for this programme are as follows:

  • Age 16-24
  • A keen interest in information technology and cyber security, or other experience
  • 5 Standard grades (Level 1-3)
  • OR 5 National 5’s or intermediate 2’s level C or above (including Maths and English)
  • A previous Modern Apprenticeship in IT and Telecommunications Professionals at SCQF6

To ensure your apprentices develop relevant knowledge and experience, our Cyber Security Technical Modern Apprenticeship teaches them to understand and comprehend the technical skills and practical abilities, covering:

  • Intrusion detection
  • Malware analysis and reversing
  • Thinking like a black hat
  • Building a well-rounded skillset
  • Risk analysis and mitigation
  • Security analysis

Specific operating Systems:

  • Microsoft Server 2016 operating system
  • Linux operating system
  • Mobility solutions such as Microsoft Intune

Skills as covered by

  • CompTIA Network+
  • CompTIA Security+

Empowering roles such as:

  • Security Engineer
  • Security Operations Analyst
  • Information Security Analyst
  • IT Operations

During the programme approximately 8% of training takes place at a QA study centre, with the remaining 92% completed in the workplace.

We develop our programmes based on the needs of the IT industry, and training units can be tailored to suit your business requirements.

As part of their programme apprentices will complete:

Technical Apprenticeship

  • Approximately 12 months duration including up to 2 weeks classroom training in first 6 months. Assessor contact every 5 weeks, rotating between remote and face-to-face visits.

Mandatory Units

  • Personal effectiveness
  • Health & Safety in IT and Telecoms
  • Principles of Information Governance and Assurance

Optional Units to choose from include

  • Carrying Out Information Security Risk Assessment
  • Investigating Information Security Incidents
  • Carrying Out Information Security Incident Management Activities
  • Carrying Out Information Security Forensic Examinations
  • Carrying Out Information Security Audits
  • Principles of Information Security Testing
  • Testing the Security of Information Systems
  • Principles of Secure System Development

For more information download the handout

NOTE: this programme is available in Scotland. Based in England? Click here (Cyber Security Technologist Level 4 Apprenticeship Programme)

To contact us for more information fill in the form below.

Enquire and apply now

Please type in a preferred location or region...